Software Engineer, Square Financial Services
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Denver, United States
- Position open to remote: No
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square Appointments helps service professionals manage their calendar on the go. With Square’s online scheduling software, customers can always get access to their availability and confirm their appointments seamlessly online. Our software is the point of sale for the merchants and a tool for them to manage their time. As a senior engineer on Appointments, you will build products and services that are inspiring, meaningful and will fundamentally change the economy we know today. You will help build technical architecture and design for our product, working with our product, design and engineering team.
This is a brand new opportunity, we’re trying to build something new, and starting a team to solve it. We’re building a cohesive set of scheduling APIs and product features to help developers and merchants build products. Our product spans across mobile, web, payments and scheduling and you’ll need to work closely across all these domains. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about product, APIs, developer enablement and solving all the challenging engineering problems we’ll face building scalable Appointments APIs.
You'll join a small Square team in Denver, CO. Initially you will work remotely, and you’ll partner with supportive colleagues in San Francisco. There will be opportunities to travel to San Francisco to meet the wider team.
- Build our Appointments platform used by developers and our teams
- Design fault-tolerant systems so the team can be brave and move fast, without ever negatively affecting our customers
- Design data models to support our APIs and product features
- Build APIs used by apps and microservices
- Participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the company
- Build the success of your team's projects throughout their life cycle, from creation to supporting production
- Take input from and work with our developer community on Square SDK projects and contribute to other projects
- Coach and mentor the team, fostering engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to grow the team
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience providing technical mentorship and guidance
- A passion for creating readable, well-crafted, maintainable code
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
- An Interest in working with distributed systems and Public APIs
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources