Senior Software Engineer, Cloud Foundations
- New York, NY
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
The Cloud Foundations team is a small, agile team working to make cloud use at Square more accessible, easier and safer. Square is at an exciting inflection point, where Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) are becoming increasingly advantageous to product engineers versus our datacenters. We're talking to other product-focused teams to understand what they want, and then building tooling that makes it possible for them to do what they want without us getting in the way. Some projects we're working on include unifying cloud and datacenter observability, feature enhancements to our Terraform CI/CD pipelines, and enabling service mesh connectivity from AWS Lambda.
As an engineer on Cloud Foundations, you will directly contribute to designing and building the infrastructure that enables every team at Square to use the best AWS and GCP have to offer. Your impact will span across product and infrastructure engineering teams at Square, and you will help set the direction for Square's cloud use for many years to come. Along the way you will have plenty of opportunities to meet and work with engineers from across the company working on vastly different problems and help them all succeed.
- Shape how Square uses AWS and GCP by designing and building software that bridges Square systems to the cloud and between clouds
- Work with security teams to improve the security posture of Square's cloud presence
- Participate in a team on-call rotation (we make sure this is painless)
- Help engineering teams across Square working with our technologies
- Dive deep to solve problems in novel ways based on our team principal of "get out of the way" and enterprise security requirements.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Familiarity with GCP or AWS and one infrastructure as code tool, such as Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Ruby, Go, Python or Java
- Developed and maintained strong working relationships with other teams and job functions, such as Compliance, Finance, and Security
- The ability to breakdown complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources