Senior Software Engineer (Google Cloud Platform), Cloud Foundations
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Cloud Foundations team is a small, agile team working to make cloud use at Square more accessible, easier and safer. Square is at an exciting inflection point, where Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) are becoming increasingly advantageous to product engineers versus our datacenters. We're talking to other product-focused teams, understanding what they want and building tooling that makes it possible for them to do what they want without us getting in the way. Some projects we've worked on include unifying cloud and datacenter observability, feature enhancements to our Terraform CI/CD pipelines, and ensuring service mesh connectivity from AWS Lambda.
As an engineer on Cloud Foundations, you will directly help develop the infrastructure that enables every team at Square to use the best AWS and GCP have to offer. Your impact will span across product and infrastructure engineering teams at Square, and you will help set the direction for Square's cloud use for many years to come. Along the way you will have plenty of opportunities to meet and work with engineers from across the company working on different problems and help them all succeed.
- Design software that bridges Square systems to the cloud
- Work with security teams to improve the security posture of Square's cloud presence
- Provide mentorship and design review support for engineering teams across Square working with our technologies
- Contribute to monitoring, stability, and security of existing tools
- Participate in a team on-call rotation
- Implement 3rd-party tools and services to accelerate cloud adoption at Square
- Google Cloud Platform expertise, especially IAM
- Experience leading or overseeing large projects from start to finish
- Developed and maintained relationships with other teams and job functions, such as Compliance, Finance, and Security
- The ability to breakdown complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Familiarity with one infrastructure as code tool, like Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Ruby, Go, Python or Java
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources