Senior Software Engineer (Availability), Cash App
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
The Cash App engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining the systems that make it all work. Every one of our customers needs fast and reliable access to their accounts, and the Cash Availability engineering team is responsible for making sure that happens. We care about infrastructure that makes it easy to write software that is secure, efficient, and tested. We examine metrics to find and fix any problems that arise from a massively scaled app, and if those metrics don’t exist we build them. We take an active hand in incident response, both in responding quickly to incidents as well as owning the tooling to improve response. We’re a team of senior engineers with a very wide breadth of experience, and we frequently work in teams to tackle big problems.
As a member of the Cash Availability team, you will:
- Own infrastructure projects that provide critical support for tremendous processing requirements
- Dig into the many parts of a large platform using a wide variety of analytical tooling, and if necessary, to add some new ones
- Use a data-driven approach to make the call on any new infrastructure that might need to be added, whether it’s off-the-shelf or built in-house
- Knock down pieces of infrastructure, examine the response, improve on it
- Unit test your stuff
- Work with bleeding edge cloud and database tech
- Boundless curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Ability to work autonomously, in ambiguity and collaboratively
- Strong communication skills
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, and Jersey
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event driven architecture
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.