Canada Risk Lead
- Toronto, Canada
We are looking for a regional Risk lead to join our team in Toronto, reporting into the global Risk department. You will guide Risk strategy within the Canadian market collaborating across multiple products and teams. You will work directly with senior internal managers and external partners. You will provide insights that inform risk management strategies and drive payments volume growth within the risk appetite in Canada. You will rely on sound judgment to plan and accomplish goals to promote risk strategy while ensuring a remarkable Seller experience.
This role is key to Square's success in the region and will represent the team as a member of Square's high impact cross-functional Risk teams that support projects for both existing and emerging payment products. We ask that you have an in-depth understanding of the principles of both account and portfolio level fraud management. You have a strong experience with working in partnership at all levels of an organisation and for building strong relationships both internally and externally (including vendors, networks, government agencies, and regulators).
- Work with senior leadership in the Americas, APAC and EU regions to set, assess, and refine a unified fraud and credit risk strategy, which you will apply in the Canadian market
- Utilise analytics to improve existing risk strategies, to maximize fraud detection and credit risk mitigation. Extract and analyse data, investigate data integrity, produce risk metrics to show the performance of fraud and credit risk systems for use in management reporting
- Identify gaps in current systems, policies, products and strategies and take actions to mitigate emerging risks with guidance from managers
- Be the key expert in Canada risk across the company and/or with external partners; think through 'big picture' implications for stakeholders and evaluate trade-offs and interests of multiple stakeholders
- Develop comprehensive risk detection strategies and business policies that balance risk loss, cost of execution and customer experience
- Be persuasive at all levels of communication, including board members and senior-level executives
- Create an environment where Squares are motivated, performing their best and always growing and provide direction to multiple teams and foster collaboration between teams
- At least 8 years of Risk experience in a complex, financial services firm, or related e-money/payments industry with expertise in managing a Risk program.
- Experience managing fraud risk within payments, and a working understanding of chargebacks and investigations Experience dealing with local regulators including FINTRAC (Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada), the Bank of Canada retail payments framework, the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation ("CDIC"); the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada ("FCAC");
- Synthesise information and make clear recommendations on a course of action
- Ability to build strong working relations with peers, colleagues and with remote based teams with individuals at all levels of the organization
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources