Infrastructure Software Engineer, Build & Release
- Toronto, Canada
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square's hardware devices form the tangible connection between Square and the millions of small businesses who rely on our services. We are always improving the software on these devices and monitoring their performance. Our Build and Release Infrastructure Team provides the infrastructure necessary to flow software changes from initial development through to release. To accomplish this we oversee: build/test pipelines, environment configurations, developer services, and build scripts. As an Infrastructure Software Engineer, you will help create the next phase of our build and release structure and the scalability of our system.
What You Will Contribute
- Design software to implement complex workflows involving various tools
- Work with developers to ensure best practices for continuous integration/continuous deployment are met
- Develop and improve build systems
- Maintain the infrastructure and act quickly when unexpected issues arise
- Debug ambiguous failures in infrastructure and bring them to resolution with fellow engineers
- Re-architect our Chef cookbook codebase and adding more robust CI
- Create a client side library to convert Jenkins DSL into pipeline code
- Build Python libraries to support developer environment management
We want employees to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org that works across Pacific, Central, and Eastern time zones.
In this role, you and your direct team will be based in the Pacific and Eastern time zones. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or relevant industry experience
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with Jenkins
- Programming skills using Python, Ruby or Bash
- An understanding of configuration management and its implementation
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources