Senior Software Engineer, Business Platform Engineering
- Toronto, Canada
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square has grown into a platform of product services that help merchants run their business. From the inside, these product services are organized into business units with their own product and engineering teams. Underneath, there’s a platform team that supports this plethora of products.
The Business Platform Engineering org works with product engineers at Square to ensure they meet their operational requirements as easily as possible. We do this by partnering with teams for their product launches and helping them integrate into our operations platform, Regulator. At the same time, we take learnings from our partnerships and turn that into new features for teams to more easily integrate into our platform in the future.
As one of the oldest code bases at Square, we are constantly evolving and refactoring, creating better patterns and adding new features in order to meet the demands of different business requirements throughout all products. Currently our team has developed many patterns for integrating into our platform on our backend Ruby on Rails application, but we are in need of someone to help steer these patterns towards a more self-service architecture. Ideally, you love refactoring code, cause we have a lot!
- Collaborate with our sister teams on the design for a new actions orchestration platform for all of Square.
- Assist product engineers integrating into our platform by understanding their projects, reviewing their code, and providing general help about our platform.
- Contribute to the monitoring, stability, and security of existing services.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for any issues related to the operations platform.
- Communicate technical designs in writing and in person to multiple technical audiences.
- Experience working in large full stack applications (4+ years minimum).
- Experience developing in Ruby, Python, Java, and/or Go.
- Experience leading 1+ year long code migrations.
- Strong communication skills.
- A desire for clean code and refactoring.
- Act as a strength multiplier to product engineering efforts.
- Learn about every product at Square.
- Work at the intersection of the social and the technical, with growth opportunities in both.
Technologies We Use:
- Ruby on Rails
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources