Software Engineer (Backend), Square Conversations
- Redwood City, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
The Conversations team builds and operates Square Messages, a messaging platform for merchants to manage conversations with their customers across multiple channels (SMS, email, etc.). Messages is also home to Square Assistant -- a virtual assistant to help merchants serve their customers 24/7. The product is scaling up and out: to new channels with Apple Business Chat, Instagram, and Facebook integrations, and to new use cases, such as ecommerce, invoicing, 3rd party APIs, and eventually a virtual business phone. The team itself was created in mid-2019 with the acquisition of Eloquent Labs.
We're looking for engineers with an interest in backend/server engineering to help build out Square Messages, and to support scaling out our NLP backend infrastructure for Square Assistant.
- Play a key role in implementing a new messaging product within Square.
- Build highly available and fault tolerant systems for real-time messaging.
- Partner with AI, iOS, and web engineers to ship features.
- Collaborative with product managers and designers to refine and establish product scope and design.
- Ship cutting-edge AI to businesses that traditionally haven’t had access to it.
- 4+ years of relevant industry experience with a bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent.
- Experience with system design and implementation
- Experience with AWS and Java is recommended
- Experience with microservice meshes is a plus
- Experience in Python and an interest in machine learning is a plus
- Interest to help shape the mission and roadmap of a new team
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources