Product Analyst, Payroll
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square provides tools and services that enable any individual to start, run and grow a business. Square Payroll is automating one of the most complex administrative aspects of running a business: paying a team. We help business owners hire, retain and pay great talent so they can grow their business, and we provide financial control and stability to the hourly workers that need it most. Our customers love our product because it is well designed, easy to use, and gives them peace of mind that they’re doing things correctly. Our team loves working on Payroll because we’re a nimble, full-stack team with a lot of passion to build a remarkable Payroll product and business.
We are looking to hire a Product Analyst who is fully embedded within the Payroll product team. We believe in leveraging analytics, engineering, and machine learning to enable data-driven decision making in product development and customer acquisition - and you are a critical partner in this. In this role you will support Square’s mission of economic empowerment by using data to help us understand our customers, thereby enabling us to build a remarkable product experience.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with Payroll colleagues across Product, Growth, Engineering, Design, Sales, Risk, and Operations to use data to drive strategic decisions
- Apply a diverse set of tactics and tools including statistics, quantitative reasoning, experimental design, and potentially machine learning to gain insight into how we can build a more remarkable product and business
- Be the subject matter expert on payroll data, including a deep understanding of the employers and employees we serve, and communicate recommendations to decision makers across the Payroll business and Square more broadly
- Build dashboards, reports, and alerting systems to enable ongoing analysis and monitoring of product, business and growth campaign performance
- Maintain Payroll’s data infrastructure and ensure we make well-informed architecture and design decisions
- Provide comprehensive day-to-day analytics support to colleagues, develop tools and resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- Communicate analysis, insights, recommendations and decisions to stakeholders and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- 5+ years of industry experience using data analytics to produce impactful insights
- Experience driving cross-functional analytics projects from beginning to end: question formation, data model design, logging, ETL, validation, analysis, machine learning, visualization, and presentation
- Experience in applying both data-backed heuristics and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems such as predicting churn, cross selling, clustering user archetypes, and more
- Familiarity with data warehouse design, development and best practices
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build strong relationships and influence with product partners
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in a variety of disciplines
Technologies we use:
- Query languages (SQL)
- Databases (Snowflake, Bigquery, etc.)
- Visualization (Looker, Tableau, Amplitude)
- Version control (Git/BitBucket)
- Data science languages (Python, R)
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources