Software Engineering Manager, API Platform
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The API Platform team creates tools that both external and internal developers use to build apps on Square's platform. From internal services that allow our internal API development teams to not worry about common functionalities such as rate limiting or serialization, to public webhooks, sandbox environments, and SDKs, we ensure an outstanding programmatic experience with Square.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager for our API Platform Extensibility team. This team will deliver our new GraphQL and Custom Attributes (metadata) solutions that will be leveraged by our internal developers to offer for our external customers. The team influences how external facing development is done at Square and helps guide large initiatives on behalf of our external developers. As a manager, you'll not only lead the team, but set the vision for where we should go, both with existing and new product offerings.
- Guide a team of 5-6 direct reports in evolving our systems to be more robust and reliable
- Foster long-term thinking and innovation and promote your organization to support our business
- Collaborate with teams across Square to make technical, design, strategy and product decisions
- Build an outstanding team by coaching engineers, promoting engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to hold your team to high engineering standards
- Grow your career in an engaged and creative engineering community that ships amazing products, reporting directly to a Senior Manager of the API Platform team
- Have knowledge of GraphQL or distributed system development
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field
- 4+ years of experience as a Software Development Manager
- Experience leading impactful, public and internal facing software products that have successfully been delivered to customers Interest in working across multiple technical domains, including backend microservices and both internal and external-facing tools
- Shown the ability to grow and promote your direct reports
- Set the vision for your space and managed all expectations and deliverables
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.