Software Engineer, Developer Experience
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Developer Platform Experience team creates tools and platforms that empower Square's public developers to adopt and stay on Square's platform. The team also enables internal developers to release new internal and public APIs and features. We are a small and growing team with an abundance of growth and impact opportunities.
As a software engineer on the team, you will own the design, creation, and maintenance of centralized, highly scalable, and performant libraries and services leveraged by every Square internal and public API. You will have the opportunity to participate in the community of internal developers who enable the Square Developer Platform and use that knowledge to create new offerings as well as adapt existing ones to meet the needs of our developers. Every call from an external developer who integrates with Square will directly use the code you've helped design and build.
- Build highly performance systems that can handle millions of requests per day to enable all of Square's third party developers.
- Work with our product teams, *many* other engineering teams, and partner developers to design Squares global developer platform.
- Build systems that maintain customers sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Experience building highly scalable and performant systems.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical, working experience (5+ years preferred)
- A sense of customer empathy and desire to influence the product direction
- A Desire to help build all aspects of building Square's developer platform in a small and growing team.
- An understanding and curiosity in creating well thought out, scalable, low-latency, global systems.
- An openness to collaboration and willingness to grow as an engineer
Even better if you are experienced in:
- C++, Java, Go, and Ruby
- Prior experience developing SDKs and Developer tools is preferred.
- Designing and managing high volume, fault tolerant services
- Cross-team and cross-functional collaboration
- Working collaboratively or contributing to open source projects
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources