Software Engineer, Product Teams (Backend)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Toronto office is our newest engineering hub housing several product teams at Square. As Square's business continues to experience growth, these teams serve the heart of the business, allowing Square product teams and third parties to build safe, scalable, and reliable products. We are looking for software engineers who feel comfortable in all parts of the stack, and are also willing to help Square expand its engineering presence in the region, to join our Toronto office. Here are some of our teams:
Square for Retail is hiring across all three of our product squads ‘Inventory Management, Selling and Order Management) in strategic adjacency to our partner team, E-Commerce.
- Inventory is most important to retailers, and is our largest squad which focuses on taming our average seller’s complexity of managing thousands of unique items as they come in from suppliers and go out to buyers in multiple locations both online and offline.
- Selling is a close second, dealing with the challenge of transacting on multiple channels from pop up stores to online marketplaces, each with different tactics and requirements.
- Order Management is our smallest squad today, and helps sellers with fulfillment and delivery after the sale is made.
The Toronto office houses many eCommerce teams at Square. As Square’s business continues to expand into the online space, these teams will help build all aspects of Square’s eCommerce offering.
- Integrations: Build the main service and infrastructure that connects the Square ecosystem with the Weebly/ECOM Products, processing millions of requests per day for hundreds of thousands of merchants
- Store: Build the core features that allow sellers to succeed online, including managing their online item catalog, accepting orders, fulfilling those orders, and everything in between
- Photo Studio: Work on a product that provides tremendous value to sellers, by allowing them to get professional quality photos and 360-degree animations of the products using our state-of-the-art robotic camera at a low price
- 4+ years of full-stack development experience and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Desire to build beautiful, intuitive products
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
- Experience working in Java or Rails, preferably with some full stack experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, PHP, Ruby, Go
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, jOOQ, Rails, Laravel
- MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Memcached
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources