Senior Software Engineer - Observability, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
The Observability team builds and operates infrastructure required for logging, metrics, tracing, profiling, and alerting in the cloud. The team curates the tooling we use, and create libraries, automation, and documentation to make it easy to follow best practices for observability. The team's mission is to provide tooling that enable engineers to effectively observe, debug, and monitor their systems running on Cash's cloud platform.
As a member of the Observability team, you’ll collaborate with our stakeholders - including product engineers - to:
- Design, build, and operate infrastructure that provide critical support for fast moving and fast changing business features
- Use a data-driven approach to make the call on any new infrastructure that might need to be added, whether it’s off-the-shelf or built in-house
- Architect distributed, real-time systems for high scalability and reliability
- Work with bleeding edge cloud technology
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership
- A passion for building, operating, and debugging distributed systems at scale
- Boundless curiosity, autonomy, and a strong sense of accountability
- Strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer, and mentor other engineers
- At least one of:
- Experience building and/or operating observability systems at scale
- Proficient with container orchestration technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Proficient with infrastructure as code tools like Terraform
- Track record of successfully building and/or operating production systems in AWS
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Java, Kotlin
- Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, Terraform
- Datadog, Elasticsearch, Fluentd, OpenTelemetry, Prometheus, Sentry, SignalFx
- Amazon Web Services
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines and applicable regulations.