Data Scientist, Payments
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Payments is Square’s core product and the foundation for the growth of many other Square products. The mission of Square’s Payments team is to make payments efficient, effective, and low-cost for Square - and to open the payments industry to Square’s innovation.
As a Data Scientist supporting the Square Payments platform, you will leverage analytics, engineering, and machine learning to empower data-driven decision making in service of ensuring a reliable, scalable, and secure Payments platform for Square and our third-party developers. You will identify gaps and opportunities in our current processes, design business metrics, lead experimentation initiatives to improve those metrics, and develop automated solutions to help partner teams understand the health of our core business.
- Partner with Square’s product, engineering and operations teams to make data-driven decisions using a diverse set of tactics, including statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning.
- Independently research questions related to our core payments data and produce actionable insights for stakeholders.
- Independently identify gaps and opportunities in our processes. Design, run, and analyze experiments with the goal of optimizing the speed, cost, and acceptance of payments for our sellers.
- Be the subject matter expert on payments data. Translate requests from internal and external partner teams into questions that can be rigorously answered with payments data.
- Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level stakeholders and executives in verbal, visual, and written media.
- Build self-service data tools that enable monitoring of the health and performance of our core business.
- Provide comprehensive day-to-day analytics support to partner teams.
- Own, coordinate, and solve complex, cross-functional problems that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of product domains, analytics, and data science
- Evangelize data best practices and be an advocate for a data-driven culture across Square.
- Lead and mentor others in Product Analytics on medium and long-term initiatives that span across product domains.
- 2+ year(s) industry experience in analytics- or machine-learning-focused roles (optional)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships and influence with product partners
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in a variety of disciplines
- Fluency with data, analytics and visualization technologies (We primarily use SQL, Python, and Looker)
- Experience in applying both data-backed heuristics and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems
- Familiarity with data warehouse design, development and best practices
Technologies we use and teach:
- Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn) & R
- Machine Learning (e.g. regression, ensemble methods, neural networks, etc.)
- Statistics (Bayesian methods, experimental design, causal inference)
- Google Cloud Platform: BigQuery, Dataflow, and Composer
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources