Android Software Engineer, Square for Retail
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. Even as mammoth Retail and e-commerce forces threaten to disrupt smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple and elegant solutions to complex problems - like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet customers wherever they are - to always make the sale.
Square for Retail is a growing product team based out of New York, San Francisco, Toronto, and Atlanta. We benefit from (and contribute to) the resources of the larger organization while staying focused on solving Retail-specific challenges. We are relentlessly customer focused, and iterate quickly using a build-measure-learn approach.
- Develop for our custom, purpose-built hardware - Square Register - with dual displays.
- Be a part of creating an innovative product that brings superpowers to sellers.
- Build and test client software with complex server, network and hardware interactions.
- Craft pixel-perfect, intuitive UI that delights our sellers with its ease of use.
- Work with a world-class team of experienced and dedicated engineers, product managers and designers.
- Deliver features to our growing base of subscribers, shipped at a rapid cadence.
- 4+ years of Android development experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Interest in learning (and helping us evolve) client engineering practices at scale
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open source library, Workflow
- Espresso and snapshot UI testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Open source libraries like LeakCanary, RxJava, Dagger, Okhttp, and more
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources