Engineering Manager, Android OS
- San Francisco, CA
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Within Square's Hardware organization, the SQUID Platform Team (SQUare AndroID = "SQUID") provides the core OS that powers Square's Register and Terminal hardware products. Square takes pride in our product experience from manufacturing to end customer experience, and this team works closely with partner teams throughout the hardware and software product lifecycle, from hardware manufacturing to Android app teams. We work with external vendors on part selection and initial hardware bringup, with a focus on customizing Android for Square's state-of-the-art security posture.
As an Engineering Manager on our SQUID Platform Team, you'll oversee your team's overall execution, working with tech leads and program managers.
You’ll report to the overall SQUID Platform Lead.
We want employees to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of a company that works across Pacific, Mountain, Central, and Eastern time zones. You and your direct team will be based in the Pacific and Eastern time zones. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
- Lead and grow a team of embedded software engineers working on complex technical problems, particularly strategies for aligning with upstream Linux/AOSP development
- Work with product teams throughout the product lifecycle, from initial prototyping through production manufacturing and long-term support
- Work with the team's tech leads to influence and guide overall platform strategy
- Work with product and program managers across the Hardware organization to plan software releases, manufacturing milestones and product announcement
- 2+ years engineering management experience
- 6+ years software development experience
- Interest working with Google's AOSP and embedded devices
- Experience working with embedded, mobile, or other connected devices
- Experience working across engineering disciplines (we work with electrical engineers, product design engineers, factory test engineers, mobile software developers, and data analysts, to name a few!)
- Experience shipping products to market
Examples of the technical projects you will manage:
- Testing system performance and compatibility in CI by running actual contactless (NFC) transactions, and stepping through customer UI flows on physical devices
- Implementing and maintaining security features for our devices, ranging from physical anti-tamper mechanisms to embedded ARM TrustZone applications (even during manufacturing!)
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources