Software Engineer, (Backend) Business Banking
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
When our sellers make a sale, the Business Banking team helps them manage and understand their business finances with products that include Square Card, Instant Transfers, account and routing numbers, advanced reporting, and cash flow insights. With this suite of products, we ensure that our customers get access to the funds they need when they need them, and that they can always understand and control where their money is going. We partner with platform and infrastructure teams to move billions of dollars each year on behalf of our sellers.
In this role, you’ll build and scale high-performance backend services, help power world-class front-end experiences within our web-based and mobile products, and contribute to the future of banking.
We are a product-focused engineering team with a full-stack background. Our projects leverage data-driven decisions to deliver features across mobile and web frontends. We also talk directly to existing and prospective merchants about their needs and pain to identify opportunities to improve their experience. Our team enjoys working together to contribute to meaningful work seen by millions of merchants worldwide. As a member of the team, you’ll be working collaboratively with mobile, backend and frontend focused engineers to deliver high-value banking features to Square sellers.
- Build and evolve both conventional and novel banking products for our sellers
- Design and build systems/applications in a service oriented architecture
- Construct, implement, interpret, and refine A/B tests
- Operate and scale a rapidly growing product that is vital to our sellers
- Help brainstorm solutions and build robust systems to solve customer problems
- Build reliable support for product data logging and metrics
- Work closely with product, engineering, analytics, risk and marketing teams
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
- Strong programming skills
- Great communication skills and enjoy working cross-functionally
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Experience contributing to medium to large scale feature releases
- Knowledge of payments or fintech
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Ember.js, TypeScript, Ruby on Rails, Go and more
- MySQL, DynamoDB
- Protocol Buffers, Terraform, Kubernetes and Envoy
- AWS and other cloud platforms
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources