Senior Software Engineer (Financial Platform), Cash App
- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We are open to hiring in multiple locations within Australia.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 33 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Cash App is a mobile-first bank that ranks in the top 10 free apps in the app store with a rapidly growing user base and feature set. The Cash engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining the systems that make it all work. As a server engineer on the Financial Platform team, you will work with core ledger used throughout CashApp for all asset types. You will also be responsible for exposing APIs to internal systems that rely on the ledger, build and evolve the strategy for handling the transactional growth and scale for all of CashApp.
As a member of the team working on a core system, it’s expected that you will have an appreciation for latency and throughput, whilst being able to ensure system availability and service level guarantees. The ability to make decisions, work autonomously, self-start, and understand the makeup of technology stacks would be highly advantageous.
As a member of the Cash App Financial Platform team, you will
- Design, Build and Support the core systems used to power all transactions on CashApp
- Break existing monoliths into microservices driven by events
- Be involved in defining and implementing an expanding roadmap
- Build and design APIs to be used as primitive building blocks for our ever-growing product suite
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- 5+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Well-developed curiosity and enjoy building creative solutions to complex problems
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects
- A vested interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building for economic empowerment
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, and Jersey
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event driven architecture
- Feature Engineering for Machine Learning
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.