Network Automation Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We're looking for a Network Automation Engineer who shares our values to help us build tools to configure and maintain our global network connecting multiple data-centers and offices. As a team, we value correctness, efficiency, and safety. We measure everything, and have a culture of reflection and improvement. We aim to eliminate friction in our environment and believe that no project should be delayed because of a lack of reliable infrastructure. We believe that a well designed production environment can be beautiful.
- Write software to solve complex network management tasks, including:
- Deploy and audit configuration of network devices.
- Monitor network health, including metrics collection, visualization, and alerting.
- Track network use over time to assist capacity planning models.
- Write proper tests and documentation for all tools.
- Work with other teams to design tools that help automate end-to-end processes that involve the network infrastructure.
- Integrate existing open source software tools and participate in those open source projects to contribute any new features or bug fixes.
- Participate in an on-call rotation.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience developing in at least one of python or ruby
- Comfortable using the Linux/Unix command line and command line tools
- Knowledge of networking concepts (switches, routers, protocols such as TCP/IP)
- A desire to continue learning
- Knowledge of routing protocols and concepts (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS)
- Experience developing software for scalable/distributed systems
- Experience with large-scale installations of Linux/Unix
- Experience with Django and Ansible
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources