Software Engineer, Terminal
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a smartphone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Terminal, Square Appointments, Square Online Store, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square helps millions of merchants start and run their businesses. As those businesses grow, their needs change. Square's goal to help businesses grow doesn't stop when small businesses do well. We want to support the needs of businesses at all stages, from a seller taking their first sale, to corporations who have processed millions in payments.
The Terminal team focuses on improving the user experience for these merchants and on building new user-facing tools to help them get the right support at the right time. We oversee the experiences of more than half of our merchants. Our UI is one of the first things our customers see, and first impressions matter. Our products meet them where they need as they grow, providing the right experience when they need it.
A few examples of the products that we work on:
- Experiments around marketing and conversion
- Onboarding and new user experience for payment products
- Data collection and maintenance UI for our merchants
- Business Information verification and account activation
We are a full-stack and mobile product team: we improve and integrate with the money moving platform and provide product features on desktops, mobile web, and in our iOS and Android apps. Our approach is both customer-focused and data-driven: we talk to merchants, understand their needs and pains, and find opportunities to improve product experiences from data insights and A/B tests. Our team has excellent work-life balance, allows flexible hours and location, and works on important, valuable projects.
- Design and increase the payment product experience for businesses using Ruby on Rails, Ember, Java, AWS, and MySQL
- Implement A/B tests
- Build reliable support for product data logging and metrics
- Work with our product, engineering, analytics, and marketing teams
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of software development experience
- Server-side experience in Rails or Java, and familiarity or curiosity about front-end and mobile development
- Contributed to or led feature releases
- Empathy for customers and an interest in producing an excellent experience for them
Technologies we use and teach:
- A/B test techniques and methodologies
- iOS and Android development
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources