Software Engineer, Engineering Productivity
- Oakland, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We want employees to be able to reside where they feel most creative and productive. You will be part of an org that works across pacific, central, and eastern time zone(s). In this role, you and your direct team will be primarily organized and operating within the pacific standard time zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
The Product Delivery - Continuous Integration Infrastructure (PD-CII) team owns all things about software access to the Device Under Test (DUT), including the atomic representation of a DUT from the perspective of a test. We serve as the single point of integration for all customer teams with the hardware on the test rack. We also manage the addition/maintenance of feature test-ability by customer teams. We work with customer teams developing features & builds test infrastructure to support exercising the feature through tests. Lastly, we oversee monitoring and healing DUTs through automation.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer who will build the automated infrastructure that is used across the hardware team for the efficient development, testing, and deployment of all Square hardware, from prototype to GA quality. You will report into our Engineering Manager, Build & Release.
- Help teams enhance engineering efficiency in the testing domain by initiating and developing various software libraries and frameworks
- Work with development teams to organize rapid test automation development by scoping and building libraries, frameworks, user interfaces, and tools
- Develop an automation infrastructure from scratch that can scale and run over hundreds of systems in automation farms
- Modify our test environments to be as hermetic as possible, thus minimizing the effect that environment setup has on test flakiness
- Build automated systems that monitor and recover important hardware test infrastructure
- 4+ years of experience in end-to-end software development (including software design)
- Built infrastructure and automation frameworks at large-scale
- Experience with test frameworks (we use pytest)
- Excellent debugging skills
- Experience working with various system environments
- A relevant BA/BS degree
Even better if you have a passion for
- Developer productivity
- Hermetic build and test environments
- Harnessing the power of data that is produced from an automation system
- Automating solutions that run at scale
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources