Senior Software Engineer, Developer Platform Experience
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Developer Platform Experience team creates tools and platforms that empower Square’s public developers to adopt and stay on Square’s platform. In addition, the team also enables internal developers to rapidly release new internal and public APIs and features.
As a software engineer on the team, you will own the next generation of Square platform experience story. Design, creation, and maintenance of centralized, highly scalable, and performant libraries and services leveraged by every public API. You will have the opportunity to participate in the community of internal developers who enable the Square Developer Platform and use that knowledge to create new offerings as well as adapt existing ones to meet the needs of our developers.
- Define the developer experience for square’s third party developers and solution builders.
- Build solutions to meet the needs of our customers(developers).
- Collaborate with data scientists, PM and design teams to roll out solutions, analyze them, fail fast and iterate.
- Be the tech leader for the organization in defining the right models for different SDKs and plugins.
- Build highly performance systems capable of handling millions of requests per day to enable all of Square’s third party developers.
- Work cross-functionally with our product teams, *many* other engineering teams, and partner developers to design and implement Squares global developer platform.
- Build systems that maintain customers sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- See the big picture to design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Experience building developer platforms, defining the strategy and providing technical direction to the group to get those executed
- Experience building and maintaining highly scalable and performant systems.
- Thorough full stack experience
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical, working experience (10+ years preferred)
- A strong sense of customer empathy and desire to influence the product direction
- Innate curiosity and a desire to be responsible for all aspects of building Square's developer platform in a highly focused, and very rapidly growing team.
- A demonstrated ability to work in ambiguity and build consensus around their ideas
- Led technical teams as a Virtual team to deliver on sizable projects requiring org wide collaborations
- Experience reporting to senior leaders and setting up the technical direction for the whole group
Even better if you are experienced in:
- SDK, Plugins, developer tools, IDE like VSCODE etc
- Prior experience developing public APIs or Developer platforms is preferred
- Designing and managing high volume, fault tolerant services
- Cross-team and cross-functional collaboration
- Working collaboratively or contributing to open source projects
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources