Engineer Manager, Observability
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
The Observability Team is a high-visibility foundational engineering team that builds the tools that Square engineers leverage to understand the behaviors and performance of services, data stores and application platforms. We decide on the technical direction to build the future for observability capabilities at Square. We scale the systems and platforms that handle terabytes of data daily, as well as the developer experience around this ecosystem of telemetry, logs and other data. Engineers on our team feel at home working in and around multiple languages and have empathy for the need for high-quality information to make technical and product decisions. You'll work with teams across Square to eliminate points of friction and build solutions that allow our engineers to move faster.
- Initially guide a foundational team of engineers while still performing technical responsibilities (ie. deploys, triaging, code reviews) in a more limited capacity.
- Grow the team by hiring qualified candidates, coaching and developing engineers, and using your technical and managerial expertise.
- Set the vision for your space and manage all expectations and deliverables.
- Partner closely with strategic vendors and teams across Square to make technical, design, strategy and product decisions.
- 2+ years of experience managing, recruiting, and retaining strong engineering talent and growing effective teams.
- Experience handling complex technical concepts, leading and working with remote teams to make decisions that allow them to move forward, and communicating those decisions upward.
- Interest in working across multiple technical domains, including back-end microservices and both internal and external-facing tools.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources