Senior Software Engineer (Frontend or Full-stack), Web Presence
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Alternate Location: Atlanta, United States
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
We're looking for experienced web developers for our Web Presence Engineering team. It's a thriving group, building high-profile websites and back-end systems. Your role would play a key part in how Square connects to and educates new and existing merchants, and their customers.
- Work on one or more parts of our website stack, developing our content management and web performance platform - often in partnership with an interactive designer
- Write concise code, and sensible tests
- Scaffold integrations with third-party APIs
- Architect large-scale systems that keep things running smoothly
- Get mentoring and support, constructive pull-request reviews, and training
- Be part of a balanced, supportive, fun work environment and career path
- 3+ years experience of solid, practical, and high-profile work
- An interest in website development and online systems
- Experience or knowledge in at least one object-oriented language, and associated web framework.
- Diligence, flexibility, and tenacity
Technologies we use:
- Ruby, JRuby, Rails
- Go, Java, Jetty, and protobufs
- MySQL, Redis, HBase, Hadoop, and Kafka
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.