Electrical Design Engineer
- Shenzhen, China
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. From the Square Card Reader for NFC and chip cards, Square Stand, Square Terminal and Register, our family of devices is growing - and this is only the beginning. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint continues to expand.
Square’s mission demands electrical designs that include integration of multiple technologies, RF, near-field communication (NFC), batteries, displays, multiple CPUs, and more. All of this must coexist with security, reliability, and low cost at high-volume manufacturing.
Square is a global company with offices around the world, and our hardware team is no exception. We have team members in various locations in East Asia and North America. Our team based in Shenzhen includes mechanical and manufacturing test disciplines, along with quality, program management, and supply management. The Shenzhen team works most closely with our Asia-based manufacturing, engineering, and component partners.
We are looking for an Electronic Engineer with manufacturing experience to work with our design teams and external partners to ensure every build is a successful one and that our products maintain the quality that Square is known for through continuous improvements.
- Review schematics and layout for design and manufacturability
- Support prototype and production builds, including FA and manufacturing oversight
- Recommend and lead sustaining improvements
- Oversee CM/JDM-owned design validation
- Communicate problems or roadblocks to the broader team
- MS/BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Telecommunications Engineering
- 5+ years experience as an electrical engineer in embedded systems
- Experience guiding and managing factory operators and engineers at CM
- Experience with schematics, PCB layout, and mechanical drawings
- Experience in PCB and FPC DFM/Fab/Assembly/Test/FA
- Knowledge of SMT processes (IQC, SPI, AOI, Reflow, FAI)
- Expertise in the hardware lab with test, measurement, and prototyping
- On-site factory experience with contract manufacturers
Even better if you have experience in:
- Both high (>1M/yr) and low (<10k/yr) volume products
- JDM/ODM product development model
- Regulatory testing - including EMC, safety
- Schematic design and layout skills
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources