Engineering Manager (Commerce), Cash App
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We are open to hiring in multiple locations within the US & Canada (EST preferred for this role).
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Commerce team is building new retail payment experiences on Cash App that leverage our vast omni-channel Seller ecosystem at Square. We make this possible via an OAuth 2.0 based API to empower the consumer in what is traditionally a merchant and bank-controlled world. For a demo of the payment experience, check out shop.cash.app
As an engineering manager, you will lead a founding group of engineers as we expand on our retail payment product. You will work with internal teams and external partners to ensure the solutions you develop work with their systems and meet the reliability and scalability required to deliver first-in-class customer experiences. You'll be joining the founding team early in the product lifecycle (no legacy work here!), with plenty of opportunities to continue shaping it from an engineering and product-perspective.
- Manage and grow a team of experienced and passionate server engineers
- Lead and participate in technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- 10 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- 2 or more years experience directly managing engineers
- A history of healthy collaboration with stakeholders on developing roadmaps and working towards them
- A commitment to continuous improvement (yourself, your teammates, our software).
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others.
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, TiDB
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.