Senior Software Engineer - Commerce, Cash App
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We are open to hiring in multiple locations within the US & Canada (EST preferred for this role).
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Commerce team is building new retail payment experiences on Cash App that leverages our vast omni-channel Seller ecosystem at Square. We make this possible via an OAuth 2.0 based API to empower the consumer in what is traditionally a merchant and bank-controlled world. For a demo of the payment experience, check out shop.cash.app
As a senior engineer on the team, you will lead high-quality, impactful technical contributions toward our Payments API, real-time transaction processing systems, and customer-facing payment experiences on Cash App. You'll be joining the founding team early in the product lifecycle (no legacy work here!), with plenty of opportunities to continue shaping it from an engineering and product-perspective.
- Take a developer-centric approach in designing and building APIs
- Support new payment experiences on across Cash App mobile and web clients
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of new features and existing systems
- Support our integration partners and internal operational teams
- Lift the skills and expertise of others on the team as a technical leader
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- Well-developed curiosity
- Taken technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
- Worked on products that are widely used and find it rewarding to build for consumers
- A vested interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building for economic empowerment
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, TiDB
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.