Engineering Manager (Platform/Infra), Cash App
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 36 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Product Velocity engineering team. This team is responsible for scaling product development on Cash’s rapidly growing distributed architecture by building core product infrastructure. This includes scaling the protocols and rails by which we sync data to our mobile apps, orchestrate product flows, and deliver well-crafted notifications to our customers. Test infrastructure for modern event driven software development for microservices and serverless systems is another area of future investment.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and your peers to develop the strategy for your team, reporting into the Product Platform Engineering Lead
- Hire and develop engineers, helping them learn and achieve their own goals while holding them - and yourself - to high engineering standards
- Guide the team in evolving our systems to be more robust and reliable
- Develop efficient processes, ensuring the engineering team is operating with high velocity, ownership, and accountability
- Build products, systems, and services that have an immediate impact on our customers
- Build an outstanding team by hiring, coaching and developing engineers, fostering pragmatic engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to constantly improve
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, pragmatism, and urgency in the team
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standards
- Own and scale core product infrastructure with tremendous processing requirements
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- 10+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers and ideally some experience managing engineering manager(s)
- A history of healthy collaboration with stakeholders on developing roadmaps and working towards them
- Growth mindset
- Experience creating readable, well-crafted, maintainable code
- Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Golang, Java
- HTTP, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- SQL, DynamoDB, Kafka
- Amazon Web Services
- Event driven architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines and applicable regulations.