Tax Manager - US Indirect Tax
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square is looking for an US Indirect Tax Manager, reporting to an Indirect Tax Lead, to join our tax team. You will support all US transaction tax compliance, reporting, audits, planning and integration activities. You will work within the tax team and numerous teams across our organization.This position can sit in any Square office in the US or be full-time remote within the continental US.
- Perform tax research related to different Square products, prepare memorandums and other written documents, and communicate knowledge of past, present and potential future indirect tax laws, guidance, and court decisions that are applicable to the business.
- Support indirect tax planning and potential acquisitions.
- Lead the implementation of processes as a result of new business practices or tax legislation.
- Manage aspects of the US indirect tax compliance, which includes the management of the different source data, review the workpapers prepared internally or by a third-party provider, ensure that all activities occur are completed.
- Review monthly indirect tax accruals and reconciliations for important accounts for SOX control purposes and ensure efficient closure of indirect tax audits and tax assessment notices.
- Lead the development of software solutions for indirect tax automation; identify and direct the implementation of technology tools and process improvements to reduce low-value work and increase tax resource productivity/focus on more value-added work
- Build relationships with third-party service providers, Square's finance, system, counsel and accounting professionals to ensure that the Indirect Tax returns are based on complete and accurate information.
- Partner with and lead a team of motivated tax professionals
- Lead educational sessions on developments in tax legislation and case law.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field.
- 7+ years of tax experience working at a public accounting firms OR equivalent experience at a multinational corporation with complex multi-state taxes and industry, focused on US indirect tax
- You have a detailed understanding of common principles of US indirect tax and ability to apply them to the business and detailed exposure to US indirect taxation, country-specific or multi-jurisdictional US indirect tax consulting and US indirect tax compliance
- Experience with project and people management
- Familiarity with e-commerce sales taxation trends and the US tax implications
- Can analyze all sides of an argument, document tax positions for our auditors, and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources