Sr. Machine Learning Systems Engineer
- New York, NY
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square's ML Platform team has one primary goal -- Make machine learning at Square easy. Square has over 100 engineers and data scientists building machine learning solutions; our team's job is to support these efforts. We build model development tools, feature computation infrastructure, and high scale serving systems to ensure that those trying to use machine learning can spend less time on infrastructure and more time delivering value.
We build highly scalable systems that can serve our customers needs. Our systems have to be tough enough to stand up to the high scale load of processing all payments at square; furthermore, they have to be flexible enough to allow data scientists to do their job. We sit in a unique spot, our team is an infrastructure one, but we work directly with Data Scientists daily. We learn directly from our customers and build new and better tools to improve their productivity and influence.
- Build tools and systems that make data scientists happier and more productive. As an infrastructure team that supports data scientists, we need people with both the DS/ML and engineering experience to understand the process and pain points of ML, and the engineering skills to build reusable, maintainable systems.
- Build scalable systems that can do the heavy lifting of feature processing. Our team maintains the infrastructure to compute real-time features used in the decision flows of all payments at square and the historical store that allows models to be trained. We need someone with experience with how to develop flexible big data processing systems and knows how to move fast, but carefully, in production.
- You enjoy to designing systems that solve our customer's problems; you want to understand your customers' needs.
- You will lead small projects and mentor junior engineers
- You will produce scalable and robust production-quality code incorporating testing, evaluation, and monitoring.
- Experience designing and productionizing large-scale distributed systems built around machine-learned models and big data. Experience with ML Ops and associated best practices.
- Experience using any of the major cloud vendors (GCP, AWS, Azure).
- Experience using big data technologies like hadoop, spark, dataflow.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent practical experience) and 12 + years of relevant industry experience
- An advanced degree focusing in computer science or other computational field is preferred.
Technologies we use:
- Java, Python, Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Snowflake
- Python ML stack (pandas, scikit-learn, Jupyter, etc.)
- MySQL, Redis, Hibernate, jOOQ, Bigtable
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources