Senior Art Director
- Toronto, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square is looking for a Senior Art Director to join our award-winning Creative Team. As an art director, you'll develop creative strategies, concept-guided campaigns, visual treatments, and be an expert at expressing the Square brand. You will work with your team to create inspiring solutions that tell Square's story and educate merchants about how they can run and grow their business with Square. You'll guide designers to create compelling work and help direct internal teams and external partners on productions. You will lead projects for a variety of marketing programs from start to finish with people across the organization.
Art Directors are an essential part of a team of program managers, cross-discipline art directors, designers, copywriters, and design technologists that work together to create marketing campaign work. This is a hands-on role that works with cross-functional partners to express our Brand through experiential, digital, video, photo, and editorial creative. You will work with Creative Leadership, partners in Strategy, Product Marketing, Brand Marketing, Video, Photo, Production Design, and Product and external agency teams.
For us, art direction isn't just a discipline—it's a deep understanding of how to develop compelling visual treatments, guide collaboration, and uphold design excellence to develop ideas that inspire audiences. You are conceptual, strategic, kind, passionate, and connected in the creative industry. You can share and sell ideas, and you can encourage and help others to do the same.
- Partner with copywriters, designers, and cross-team to translate content and marketing strategies into creative concepts.
- Create campaign concepts that stretch across media and channels including broadcast, print, web, social, and retail / experiential
- Iterate and communicate ideas across multiple levels of fidelity (mood boards, concept statements, design explorations, art direction boards, style frames, presentations)
- Incorporate and translate feedback from Creative Leaders and teammates into clear and inspiring guidance to develop the best work
- Create outstanding photography, videography direction, typography, branding application direction, and design direction
- Provide inspiration, mentorship and direction to multi-disciplinary creatives
- Cultivate trust and partnerships
- Work with creative producers and program managers to develop project plans and ensure that projects are progressing and creative is delivered on time.
***For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio as well as any applicable passwords***
8+ years of industry experience; agency, design studio, production house, or relevant in-house marketing experience
- Experience defining, building, and differentiating brands
- Ability to follow and build upon campaign identities
- Understanding of industry trends and today's creative landscape—how users engage with content, and trends within the marketing
- A positive, high-transparency, and collaborative approach to your work
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing or providing mentorship to junior creatives while still advancing individual assignments and goals
- Expertise in typography, composition, color, layout, design thinking, and content strategy in the design solutions you create
- Familiar with designing for digital and print projects
- Experience working in Adobe Creative Suite with expertise in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign; a general understanding of Figma
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources