Senior Security Software Engineer, Identity and Access Management
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As a Security Software Engineer on IAM, the services you build will protect Square's most valuable assets and provide a great user experience to authorized Square employees around the world. You will work with many teams across the company, including other teams within security, platform engineering, IT, and Data Security Governance.
On the IAM team we aim to provide engineering solutions and access control experiences which balance the practical challenges of compliance with our high bar for security. We believe in the zero trust security model, and are always looking for ways to improve our access control platforms. An example of how we put this into practice: our team built Square's implementation of BeyondCorp, which has been instrumental in Square's seamless transition to working from home.
- Develop and own zero trust authentication and authorization platforms for Square's evolving corporate and production landscapes.
- Scale your impact through building access control primitives that engineering teams across the company can use in their systems to improve their security posture
- Lead multi-person projects and across engineering teams and partners that reduce access risk
- Contribute to our internal web application that enables users across the company to manage their access.
- Contribute to the monitoring and stability of our team's existing engineering solutions.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to level up your teammates.
- Work in any Square office location, or work remotely in the USA or Canada. Occasional travel may be required.
- Success building secure systems with broad company impact
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership
- A high bar for writing scalable and testable code
- A desire to perform and grow as a security engineer and educate other engineers
- Familiarity with BeyondCorp concepts and implementations.
- Experience breaking secure systems
- Experience with service mesh architectures or Envoy
We use and teach:
- Linux/ Unix Security
- Ruby, Rails, and RSpec
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.