Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
- Atlanta, GA
- Position open to remote: Yes
Square's Machine Learning Platform team has one goal: Make machine learning at Square easy. Square has over 100 engineers and data scientists building machine learning solutions; our team's job is to support these efforts. We build serving systems to ensure that those trying to use machine learning can spend less time on infrastructure and more time delivering value. To accomplish this, we build scalable systems that can serve our customers needs. Our systems have to be tough enough to stand up to the high scale load of processing all payments at Square; furthermore, they have to be flexible enough to allow data scientists to do their job. We sit in a unique spot: your team will be an infrastructure one, but we work directly with Data Scientists daily.
- You will directly lead and empower an outstanding team of engineers by developing your team, promoting engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to constantly improve the team and us.
- Help set the vision to guide us into the next generation of an online machine learning platform and establish practices to address customer needs.
- The main job of the team is to evaluate models to make the Data Scientist's job easy in production. We need someone with experience in production systems or experience that supports the vast array of ML requirements that can serve models built through any DS tool.
- You will learn and understand multiple complex technical problems facing our multiple product, data science, and analyst teams and design reusable infrastructure to solve their problems and use the commonalities between them.
- 5+ years professional experience building large software projects
- 2+ year(s) managing engineering teams
- 2+ years Machine Learning experience
- Excellent software engineering knowledge and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance
- Experience handling complex technical concepts, working with remote teams to make decisions that allow them to move forward, and communicating those decisions upward.
- Experience working with product managers, data analysts, and other engineering and leaders.
Technologies we use:
- Java, Python, Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Snowflake, Docker
- Python ML stack (pandas, scikit-learn, Jupyter, etc.)
- MySQL, Redis, Hibernate, jOOQ, Bigtable
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources