Commercial Counsel, Tidal
- New York, NY
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We started with a simple idea - that everyone should be able to accept credit cards - and we’ve been rethinking buying and selling ever since. For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket to analytics on your laptop. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from the businesses you love and more fun to pay your friends back. Buying and selling sound like simple things - and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
Square, Inc. has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a majority ownership stake in TIDAL, the global music and entertainment platform that brings artists and fans closer together through unique original content and exclusive events. We expect to close the transaction in the second quarter of 2021. We're excited to see what we can build together!
Square is looking for an experienced commercial counsel to join our new TIDAL commercial team, who will draft and negotiate important commercial agreements and provide legal guidance on commercial transactions. As we expand our offerings and further enhance TIDAL's service and products, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate and long term impact. This role will be contingent on closing.
- Collaborate with a team of commercial attorneys to prioritize business objectives and manage the commercial aspects of our music business
- Draft and negotiate commercial and intellectual property agreements affecting our products, including the following: marketing, sponsorship and brand partnership agreements, performer, talent, and influencer agreements, livestream, live performance, music video, event promotion, concert production, exclusive content, videographer and podcast agreements, service provider and vendor agreements, voucher agreements, carrier agreements, and technology integration agreements
- Provide legal advice, guidance and transactional support to achieve business milestones while managing legal and commercial risk
- Assist and support product and engineering teams in connection with the launch of new product features and integrations
- Help handle sweepstakes, contests, trademark and copyright issues in relation to images and videos and obtain applicable clearances
- Manage contracts and records management systems
- Create processes to help scale a business operating in 50+ countries
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in law firms or in-house legal departments working on music and entertainment matters
- Experience with recording artist agreements and content distribution and associated intellectual property matters
- Expertise in copyright law and legal issues relating to music licensing and digital distribution
- Experience drafting commercial agreements, domestically and internationally and partnering with global stakeholders
- Familiarity with data privacy laws, including GDPR and CCPA
- Fluency in translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product, finance and business teams
- Experience with Google G-suite, Microsoft Suite, DocuSign, contract management systems, and project management tools
- Experience in leading cross-functional groups
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources