Product Counsel, Tidal
- New York, NY
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We started with a simple idea - that everyone should be able to accept credit cards - and we’ve been rethinking buying and selling ever since. For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket to analytics on your laptop. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from the businesses you love and more fun to pay your friends back. Buying and selling sound like simple things - and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
Square, Inc. has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a majority ownership stake in TIDAL, the global music and entertainment platform that brings artists and fans closer together through unique original content and exclusive events. We expect to close the transaction in the second quarter of 2021. We're excited to see what we can build together!
Square is looking for an attorney to focus on providing legal guidance on product development projects for our pending acquisition of TIDAL. You will report to the Counsel Lead for TIDAL and partner with our business and engineering teams to develop new technologies and products. This person will also manage legal risk and ensuring Square's compliance with the laws and regulations of each country in which TIDAL operates. You will also help negotiate complex commercial relationships that contribute to our products success. Your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact, while you also contribute to the future of TIDAL as we expand our offerings. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work on the legal aspects of music and entertainment issues. The role will be contingent on closing and can be based in a remote location.
- Provide guidance to product and engineering teams on issues related to all products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
- Draft and negotiate commercial and intellectual property agreements affecting our products
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to provide an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Provide ideas and insights into how we operate within the law to create amazing product experiences for our customers
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in law firms or in-house legal departments working on music and entertainment matters
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
- A combination of both in-house and major law firm practice experience
- Experience with recording artist agreements and content distribution and associated intellectual property matters
- Expertise in copyright law and legal issues relating to music licensing and digital distribution
- Experience drafting commercial agreements, domestic and international
- Fluency in translating legal advice into guidance for product, engineering and finance partners
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources