Senior Android Engineer, Square for Retail
- St. Louis, MO, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. Even as mammoth Retail and e-commerce forces threaten smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple solutions to complex problems - like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet customers wherever they are - to always make the sale.
Square for Retail is a growing product team based in New York, San Francisco, Toronto, and Atlanta. We benefit from (and contribute to) the resources of the larger organization while solving Retail-specific challenges. We are enthusiastically customer focused, and iterate quickly using a build-measure-learn approach.
- Use your extensive expertise in Android development to lead a small group of Android engineers building solutions together that meet our sellers’ challenges.
- Develop for our custom, purpose-built hardware - Square Register - with dual displays;
- Be a part of creating a product that brings superpowers to sellers.
- Build and test client software with complex server, network and hardware interactions;
- Craft pixel-perfect, intuitive UI that delights our sellers with its ease of use;
- Work with a world-class team of experienced and dedicated engineers, product managers and designers;
- Deliver features to our growing base of subscribers, shipped at a rapid cadence
- Work collaboratively with product managers and designers to define and establish product scope and design.
- 5+ years of Android development experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Mentor a group of software engineers to deliver solutions while fostering growth.
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work.
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues.
- Desire to build beautiful and refined products
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open source library, Workflow
- Espresso and snapshot UI testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Open source libraries like LeakCanary, RxJava, Dagger, Okhttp, and more
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources