Head of Data Science, Square Hardware
- San Francisco, CA
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
The Square hardware team designs, builds, and sells millions of loved products each year that empower our sellers to run their business effectively. From the innovative first reader that let anyone take a credit card payment on their phone to our more recent all-in-one devices that are more similar to phones and tablets. You will be leading the hardware team's Data Science team that is tasked with the critical role of bringing data into our products through smart features, our product design decisions, our operations, and our marketing. This team uses analytics, engineering, and machine learning to make our data and its insights accessible to the cross-functional team.
In this role, you and your direct team will be based in the Pacific Time Zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
You and Your Team Will:
- Play a critical role in helping our engineering and product teams to make data driven decisions to build best in class products.
- Help use our data to bring intelligent features into our products.
- Partner with our distribution channels (i.e., 3rd party retail and our own eCommerce site) and marketing teams to understand and improve channel and marketing performance.
- Explain technical data to a variety of executives and stakeholders across the company.
- Translate ambiguous, unstructured business problems into actionable data-driven analyses.
- Work with our operational team to ensure continued supply of high quality products.
- Own the hardware analytics roadmap including improving capabilities, infrastructure and tools.
- Build and maintain critical data infrastructure alongside our dedicated data engineering team.
- Communicate analysis and insights to high-level partners and executives in verbal, visual, and written media.
- Experience building and leading a team of outstanding Data Scientists.
- 6+ years of experience in quantitative analytics, data science, and analytical consulting.
- Expertise with SQL, Python and data visualization tools (i.e., Looker, Tableau).
- Experience in some of the following areas and excitement to learn the others: Marketing performance and attribution, lifetime value modeling, return on investment measurements, hardware product telemetry, eCommerce channel performance metrics, retail channel performance metrics, logistics data and performance metrics, supply chain data, payments industry data and manufacturing data and performance metrics.
- Ability to quickly gain an in-depth understanding our product ecosystem, business, marketing strategy, metrics, and models.
- Experience facilitating cross-functional projects that depend on the contributions of others in various disciplines.
- Experience leading data science infrastructure strategy and implementation and familiarity with data warehouse design, development, and best practices.
- BS/BA in Math, Statistics, Economics, or a related technical field.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources