Software Engineer, Payroll Employer - Ruby on Rails
- Denver, CO, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Oakland, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Much in the same way that Square revolutionized payments, Square Payroll is radically altering how employees get paid and businesses manage their finances. Our mission is to make running a business simple and personal by applying automation and an outstanding user-experience.
Our small collaborative team has already built many foundational features and are now focused on improving and experimenting beyond a traditional payroll product. We want to transform the lives of people that make their living through our platform. We're a growing part of the Square ecosystem and are using our position to build products and features that are beyond the capabilities of our competitors.
You are a product-minded, customer-focused, full-stack engineer who can help take world-changing ideas from prototype to launch.
- Champion the needs of Square Payroll's small-business employer and employee customer base, through customer empathy, iteration, and service ownership
- Write clean, testable, peer-reviewed code
- Build the development and live operation of an increasingly distributed architecture
- Revitalize services and architectures which have outlasted their original implementations, through refactoring, migration, and scale-ready, distributed architectural design
- A curious, passionate, growth-oriented mindset
- A desire to teach and learn from the engineers around you
- Contributed to impactful engineering projects at non-trivial scale
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with a major front-end framework
- BA/BS degree and 3+ years of equivalent industry experience
Bonus points if you also have:
- Familiarity with React
- Software design experience with distributed architectures that have seen growth
- Experience building and deploying to cloud infrastructure
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources