Technical Lead (Full-stack), Retail
- Toronto, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
From the cozy local wine store to the trendy sneaker pop-up, the Retail team at Square is finding new ways to equip retail sellers and their staff with the tools they need to succeed. We are enthusiastically customer-focused and help smaller retailers meet their customers wherever they are: be that in-store, online, or on social/messaging platforms. We’re addressing the desire for clean and minimalist store counters with simple yet sophisticated iOS, Android, and Web-based software that integrates seamlessly with our sleek hardware, all backed by reliable services. The Retail team benefits from the resources of (and contributes to) the larger organization while solving Retail-specific challenges.
As a technical leader on the Retail Inventory team, you will make high-quality contributions while also coordinating and guiding junior engineers to do the same. You'll partner with Product and Design to build features that present elegant UI for complex problems, saving sellers time and reducing anxiety as they try to manage and understand their inventory – logistics that are at the very heart of every retailer’s business.
- Utilize your extensive expertise in either web frontend or server technologies to lead and empower a full stack group of Android, iOS, web frontend, and server engineers building solutions together that meet our sellers’ challenges.
- Mentor a group of software engineers to deliver solutions while fostering growth.
- Deliver highly impactful tools for Retail sellers to manage and understand their inventory.
- Work across platforms to power remarkable frontend experiences with robust backend services and APIs.
- Create and maintain technical systems and write concise, well-crafted code and tests.
- Achieve the levels of quality that merchants and buyers expect when they entrust Square with their financial and business information.
- Collaborate across teams in an agile environment to deliver solutions that solve complex problems.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience developing scalable production software and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work.
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues.
- Proficiency in server and/or web frontend technologies.
- Experience with Go or Java preferred.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Protocol Buffers, gRPC, Ember, Guice, Rails
- MySQL, Elasticsearch, Snowflake
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources