Senior Software Engineering Manager, Payment Connections
- Atlanta, GA
- Position open to remote: No
Square's Payment Platform is an open, global financial services platform for developers who serve our merchants. It provides the necessary components to manage identity, process payments across multiple channels, hold and transfer funds, and provide accounting, reconciliation, and reporting in a secure and compliant way. Within the Payment Platform, we are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager for our Payment Connections group. These teams manage Square's partnerships with acquirers and payment networks, along with pricing, fees, and projects that enhance our margins related to payment acceptance.
We are looking for someone to oversee multiple engineering teams in three countries, including founding a new team based in Japan. The four existing teams are led by managers and team members with well established track records. Our projects this year are essential to allowing Square to expand markets and to improve our margins. As we monetize many of our products through payments, these teams' abilities to create and deliver are crucial to the success of the company. Your role here would take us both to global markets and "beyond the card" to incorporate dynamic new payment methods.
- Mentor managers to build and manage teams.
- Be engaged and involved, but also empower others to work effectively.
- Lead and mentor senior ICs that work across teams to provide architecture and operational guidance and keep the technical bar high.
- Monitor and guide implementation, and ensure that your team operates sustainably at a high-pace.
- Participate in maintaining the quality of our mission-critical services and look for opportunities to improve our operations.
- Optimize for success of the company as a whole. Understand our priorities and make necessary trade-offs in a resource-constrained environment.
- Synthesize information from teams and other leaders and forms opinions to be debated with peers and leadership.
- Report into a Senior Director of Engineering for Payment Platform
- 8+ years relevant software development and systems design experience working in backend services.
- 4+ years of experience as a Software Engineering Manager or Lead
- Experience leading teams that build and support services 24/7/365 in a multi-region environment.
- Enthusiasm for management work and learning how to do it better.
- Technical depth to evaluate the appropriateness of high-level design and implementation decisions.
- [Bonus] Experience with payment processing, the payment industry in general and trends.
- [Bonus] Experience working directly with vendors during product build-out and to resolve operational issues at a high level
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources