Software Engineer, App Marketplace
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The App Marketplace team builds products that are central to Square's platform approach to e-commerce. We connect the thousands of developers building on Square's Public API to the millions of Square sellers who need tools to run their small businesses. Whether it's simply having an online store, setting up a contactless commerce system, marketing or loyalty - sellers trust us to help them find the perfect app to take their business to the next level.
We need your help to connect our sellers to the thousands of products being built on Square's platform. As a software engineer on the team, you will own the design, implementation and maintenance of systems which identify the best app for each seller. You'll work directly with our team's dedicated data scientist and Square's vast information warehouse to make data-driven decisions about our products and AI-powered recommendation engine. Your insight and experience will be important as you help us to build and refine our roadmap. With your help, we will grow the apps offered in our marketplace and the sellers using them by orders of magnitude.
- Deliver remarkable user experiences powered by your code
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, data scientists and other developers to fully understand our problem space and deliver elegant, high quality solutions
- Join a supportive, talented, high-growth team passionate about empowering developers and bringing their apps to our sellers
- Work collaboratively with other teams as you design and contribute to shared components that accelerate development for the Developers organization, and sometimes all of Square
- Relative to your experience level, assume leadership roles for features and products
- Learn from us, and help us to learn from you!
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 2+ years of a frontend focus in a framework like Ember, React, or Angular
- An aptitude for writing great code and mentoring others so they can do the same
- The ability to work with product, design and data partners to understand requirements and implement the team's product vision
Technologies we use and teach:
- Ruby on Rails
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources