Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
Square's hardware devices form the tangible connection between Square and the millions of small businesses who rely on our services. We are always improving the software on these devices and monitoring their performance. The Product Delivery team within Devices Software Engineering, develops and runs production services that securely deploy software updates to millions of embedded devices across four continents, and collects diagnostic and troubleshooting data from devices in the field.
As our hardware portfolio expands, you and your team will serve larger and more complicated assets - to more devices - more frequently, while constantly improving the customer experience associated with this process. We need full-stack software services that can scale with this task.
Role Location: You and your direct team will be based in the Pacific time zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
- Design, implement, and run software services to validate, deploy, and monitor software updates for Square embedded devices
- Scale our deployment infrastructure and systems to support future hardware offerings and growth
- Use metrics reporting to gain insight into the health of our build, test and release infrastructure
- Empower the team to be brave and take principled risks, without ever showing a negative impact to customers
- Work with our product and business teams to develop Square's global hardware strategy
- Work with other senior engineers and make engineering recommendations with a long-term mindset
- 6+ years of software engineering experience
- At least 3 years of recent full stack experience and comfort with switching gears between front end / back end work
- Experience developing highly available and scalable production services
- Experience delivering consumer-facing products / features from definition to delivery
- Experience with SQL databases
- Great technical knowledge for defining data models, interfaces and workflows
- Excel in a collaborative environment involving partners and experts
- Experience with event driven async pipelines/message queues and data synchronization
- A desire to abstract away complexity, replace repetition with automation, and design user-centered solutions.
- Proficient in at least one of Ruby, Python, or Java
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
Technologies We Use:
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources