Data Analyst, Risk
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
In Portfolio Analytics at Square, you'll build processes to prevent fraudulent and other high-risk activity across Square's evolving platform of products. You will also directly contribute to reports that inform senior executives and board members' understanding of risk performance. We are looking for a Data Analyst to join our team, which is directly responsible for managing Square's risk portfolio.
The ideal Data Analyst will be eager to explore far and wide, getting familiar with many elements of Square's business while serving as a partner for our fastest growing products and teams. You won't just help Square's products reduce their risk, you'll help them to grow in a way that's healthy for both our entire ecosystem of existing products and brand new products that our teams are building. You crave new problems, flourish amongst remarkable colleagues, value candor, and love learning. You're an expert in analytics and designing powerful data visualizations, but also create compelling narratives for the stories that your data empowers.
- Use SQL, Looker, and other tools for ad-hoc analytical projects which will power real-time and long-term solutions for business problems
- Craft compelling, data-driven recommendations for strategic improvements in risk performance on a product and market level
- Develop core elements of the Risk team's metrics reporting infrastructure
- Build quarterly and annual reports for leadership and executives
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, or a related technical field
- 3+ years of relevant experience (or Master's & 2+ years)
- High proficiency in SQL and one or more data visualization tool like Looker or Tableau
- The ability to decompose unstructured questions and power projects and analytical tasks to completion
- A passion for Square's mission
- Experience in the financial or risk space
- Experience with scripting and data analysis programming languages (e.g. Python, R)
- Experience using statistics and machine learning
- Business consulting or project management experience
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources