Senior Software Engineer - Traffic, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 36 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Traffic team owns the cloud networking infrastructure that supports all of Cash App Engineering and its services. Our mission is to provide robust, reliable cloud networking infrastructure for the Cash App while relentlessly improving the engineering experience surrounding it.
As a member of the Cash App Traffic team, you will:
- Integrate and operate open source Infrastructure such as Istio, Envoy and CoreDNS
- Take advantage of managed cloud infrastructure, primarily running on AWS, such as Virtual Private Cloud, Global Accelerator, Direct Connect and Route 53
- Design, build, and operate custom systems and tooling which bridge the gaps between managed or open source infrastructure and the needs of engineers working on product features
What we value:
- Collaborative design and problem solving
- Kind, specific, and actionable feedback
- Infrastructure as code
- Immutable infrastructure
- Not getting woken up at night
- Open source contributions
- Getting stuff done
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership
- A desire for autonomy and ownership
- A passion for building, operating, and debugging distributed systems at scale
- Boundless curiosity, autonomy, and a strong sense of accountability
- Strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer, and mentor other engineers
At least one of:
- Service Mesh Related Experience
- Experience building and/or operating cloud native infrastructure based systems at scale
- Proficiency with networking aspects of container orchestration technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Track record of successfully building and/or operating production systems in AWS
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Java, Kotlin
- Istio, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Amazon Web Services
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.