Manager, Tax Information Reporting
- San Francisco, CA
Square is looking for a Tax Information Reporting Manager to join our tax function. To support our growth in tax information reporting compliance, we are looking for a resourceful individual who is adept and dedicated to Square's overall compliance with accurate, reconciled data, and to improving our processes in completing our tax information reporting obligations for our multiple products. You are proficient in the U.S. tax information reporting rules – particularly those under IRC Sections 6050W, 6041, 6050P, 1441 and 3406. Knowledge of FATCA and international tax information reporting rules are also a plus. This function collaborates with different teams across the company, including many product teams, support, accounting, legal and compliance. You are energized by ensuring tax compliance needs are met and resolving tax reporting problems for our customers. This position is located in San Francisco, CA.
- Help report compliance data gathering, file preparations and uploads to ensure timely distribution of forms, including but not limited to Forms 1099-B, 1099-C, 1099-K, 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, 1099-OID and 1042-S.
- Assist and ensure timely annual information reporting compliance filings, including but not limited to Forms 945, 1042 and 8966.
- Help with Australia's annual BTTPS reporting to the ATO and ensure timely compliance.
- Help with detailed reviews of reporting data to identify and correct for obvious errors.
- Ensure distribution of mailed tax forms are postmarked in a timely fashion.
- Help develop outstanding SOPs for intake of new data streams, new filers, new reporting regimes, and new compliance procedures.
- Oversee and track the processes for compliance events (B Notice, C Notice, 972CG) – create and issue compliance letters, track responses received, review and compile inventory tracking status for action upon deadline and post deadline.
- Respond to support inquiries from customers as they relate to tax information reporting and guide teams to resolution.
- Work with Customer Engagement, Account Management, Sales, Communications, and Support teams on regular customer communications and drive campaigns with customers to update accurate tax information.
- Spot trends of tax reporting issues and propose solutions to solve for related pain points amongst our customers.
- Advocate for customers by identifying trends in issues and suggesting improvements to processes, policies, and products.
- Help ensure and maintain customer data in OneSource.
- Help with ad hoc requests and projects as necessary.
- 7+ years of experience directly in tax informational reporting – in FinTech/financial services (bank, brokerage, payment processing).
- The ability to take the detailed data provided to form a coherent and correct tax picture, and spot check issues.
- Passion for data integrity.
- Experience with U.S. tax rules and associated exposures around information reporting. Tax reporting experience on cross border payments would be a significant plus.
- Excellent proficiency in Excel.
- Tax audit experience in areas of Information Reporting
- An interest and background in data mining, sorting/searching and formatting for tax reporting purposes
- Experience with Thomson Reuters OneSource Tax Information Reporting system.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources