Software Engineer, Business Platform
- Seattle, WA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square has grown into a platform of product services that help merchants run their business. From the inside, these product services are organized into business units with their own product and engineering teams. Underneath, there's a platform team that supports this plethora of products. The Business Platform Engineering team works with product engineers at Square to ensure they meet their operational requirements as easily as possible. We do this by partnering with teams for their product launches and helping them integrate into our operations platform, Regulator. At the same time, we take insights from our partnerships and turn that into new features for teams to more easily integrate into our platform in the future. As one of the oldest code bases at Square, we are constantly evolving and refactoring, creating better patterns and adding new features to meet the demands of different business requirements throughout all products. Our team has developed many patterns for integrating into our platform on our backend Ruby on Rails application, but we are looking for someone to help steer these patterns towards a more self-service architecture. You love refactoring code, cause we have a lot.
- You will assist product engineers integrating into our platform by understanding their projects, reviewing their code, and providing general help about our platform.
- You will transform insights from working with product integrations into features and enhancements towards the self-serviceability of our platform.
- Contribute to the monitoring, stability, and security of existing services.
- You will report to the Engineering Manager.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for any issues related to the operations platform.
- Communicate frequently with multiple partners in writing and in person.
- Experience working in large full stack applications
- 5+ years professional software development experience.
- Experience developing in Ruby, Python, Java, and/or Go.
- Experience leading 1+ year long code migrations.
- A desire for clean code and refactoring.
- Act as a strength multiplier to product engineering efforts.
- Learn about every product at Square.
- Work at the intersection of the social and the technical, with growth opportunities in both.
Technologies We Use:
- Ruby on Rails
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources