Senior Software Engineer - P2P, Cash App
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 36 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Platform Team builds and maintains the platform services that are used by our millions of customers to send money person-to-person quickly, safely, and reliably. As a part of this team, you will build software that helps us scale up our P2P payments infrastructure, combat risk losses, and expand our payments feature suite. You will work with product teams to explore and engineer new features that innovate how people access and manage their money.
The team is based in Toronto and San Francisco, and we are open to remote in North America.
- Develop native Cash App payment features, scale systems to our growing customer base and test everything effectively
- Take a developer-centric approach in building APIs used by apps and microservices
- Apply cloud computing primitives to build performant and elastic services that are easy to operate and maintain
- Contribute to complex, multi-person projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Mentor other Engineers on the team and make recommendations to improve the team and broader practices
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- Work with our team to help recruit candidates, organize external recruiting/networking activities, present externally and more
- Built up depth in one or more technical areas and you understand how to transfer that expertise to solve other problems
- Curiosity that pushes you to find flaws in an intricate system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects, having led or contributed to medium-to-large feature releases
- Made contributions to the architecture and design of complex systems
- The ability to persevere in a wide range of challenging situations - pressure or cross-functionality - and across multiple axes - like scale and uncertainty
- Fluency with multiple programming languages
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- DynamoDB and SQL
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.