Writer, Corporate Purpose
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Our Global Communications team is made up of tough, quick-witted, entrepreneurial, and intellectually curious people. We communicate to the world Square's purpose of economic empowerment and our mission to empower businesses and individuals with easy-to-use, elegant tools that give them an advantage where they previously had none.
Square is looking for a writer to join the Corporate Purpose function of our team, a diverse group of individuals that uses data, design, and storytelling to advocate for Square, Inc.'s corporate brand globally. Reporting to the Corporate Purpose Copy Lead, you will bring creative thinking, excellent writing, and eagle-eyed editing to the team. You will work on awareness campaigns, messaging and compelling narratives, website copy, and corporate documents. As part of a small and collaborative team, you will help create a new body of work and grow the corporate brand writing discipline.
*** For consideration, please submit writing samples or a portfolio of past work***
- Write and edit clear and creative copy for a range of external and internal communications including web pages, data visualization stories, corporate documents, messaging, social, and awareness campaigns
- Work with the Copy Lead to create strategic content that reflects our brand and our purpose
- Use SEO principles to maximize copy's reach
- Collaborate cross-functionally to guarantee cohesiveness across the brand
- Work with designers, communications associates, data analysts, engineers, executives, and other partners
- Contribute to overall team vision, roadmaps, ideation, and creative strategy
- Distill complex subject matter into compelling copy
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a creative role at an agency or in-house, or equivalent experience in journalism or another writing field
- Excellent grammar, writing, editing, proofreading, and editorial skills
- An ability to think conceptually, ensuring creative tone/voice that supports and differentiates the brand based on audience.
- Experience writing compelling copy on multiple deliverables—from web pages and white papers to corporate reports and social campaigns
- Experience copyediting and proofreading a range of materials with an eye for brand consistency
- An interest in working with data to create compelling narratives and creative work
- Familiarity with standard copyediting and proofing marks
- Concise communication skills to articulate the reasoning behind copy choices
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources