Senior Software Engineer, Square Capital Underwriting
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Traditional borrowing is difficult for many US small businesses, and Capital's mission is to provide our customers with access to much needed funding. The Underwriting team, in close partnership with data science, is responsible for determining which customers are eligible to receive a loan from Capital. We do this by maintaining an underwriting experimentation platform that helps us iterate on different ways to reach new customers who are in need of capital.
We're currently focused on expanding the capabilities of our recently launched experimentation platform by adding new features and modernizing existing components. We need someone with a successful track record of building cloud-based solutions to help us continue improving our platform and deliver on our objectives.
- Work closely with product, data science, and other engineering teams to unlock new ways of underwriting customers, which includes improvements to our machine learning capabilities, new data sources, and much more
- Collaborate with other engineering teams on exciting new initiatives and products, such as expansion into international markets
- Modernize our entire underwriting process to be cloud-first and scale to meet Square's growth needs for years into the future
- Experiment with new technologies and teach your peers how to leverage them in our work
- Lead architectural and solution design discussions, ensuring our infrastructure is performant, fault tolerant, and maintainable
- Build well-designed, reusable systems to model customer data, credit review procedures, and borrower experiences
- Build systems that collect and maintain customers confidential data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance
- Leverage strong communication skills and a passion for using data and software to drive business decisions at scale
- Participate in ongoing training to maintain current knowledge of BSA/AML and perform BSA/AML duties as required by job function
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Expertise in building modern, scalable architectures using AWS technologies, including DynamoDB, SQS, Lambdas, Step Functions, etc.
- Interest in working on back-end systems, from APIs and business logic to optimizing databases, streams, and software engines
- Interest in modeling complex domains and building resilient systems to support real world applications
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals
- Interest in working with other engineering teams and partners
- Technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
- Bonus: Prior experience working in lending, underwriting, or risk management.
Tools we use and teach:
- Ruby on Rails
- ES6 & TypeScript
Position is open to SF, NYC, & Remote*
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources