Senior Software Engineer - Banking, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple single purpose product to the world's most dynamic money app, with over 36 million active monthly users.
Loved by customers, we've held the #1 spot in finance on the App Store for almost two years. We sometimes even steal the overall #1 spot from the likes of Facebook, YouTube and Instagram. Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today's financial system.
Headquartered in SF with offices in Kitchener Waterloo, Melbourne, New York, Sydney, Austin and Toronto. Cash App is bringing a better way to send, spend, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to today’s banking system.
As a Senior Software Engineer of the Banking engineering team, you will lead the technical design, execution, and delivery of new banking experiences that improve our customers’ ability to deposit, manage, and spend their money seamlessly through the expansion of deposit options and rewards programs like Boost. These experiences will be built through close collaboration across teams and disciplines. In addition, you'll guide architectural decisions and infrastructure improvements to make our systems more robust and scalable. The things that you build will create significant impact at scale and will fundamentally change the banking landscape.
About the teams:
Balances - We empower the customers to seamlessly bring money into Cash and accelerate every product vertical such as Banking, Stocks, Bitcoin, Investing and various other products with those cash inflows.
Cards - We build the best physical financial products in the world - starting with cards. We are the only team within Cash App that delivers hardware to our customers. Our innovative card customization design experience and card products have steadily driven the adoption of Cash Card as the top-of-wallet spending device for our customers.
- Consumer Banking - We want to build the best consumer bank and allow anyone to use us as their primary financial institution. Some of the areas that the team is currently focused on include expanding our Boost program to drive increased Cash Card engagement, new experiences to provide added clarity and insights to customers' money, and introduce/enhance new/existing deposit options.
As a member of the team, you’ll:
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to scope, design, and build new features and maintain existing functionality of banking features
- Lead and participate in important technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the company
- Design systems to work within our microservice and event-driven architectures
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standards
- Leverage your experience and knowledge to grow your teammates’ technical breadth and depth through direct coaching and mentoring
- 8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- 1+ years of experience leading small engineering teams to plan and execute the delivery projects on time while maintaining a high-quality bar
- Desire to find flaws in a system with many moving parts and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- The ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems
- A strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer
- Bachelor's Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- OkHttp, Jetty, JUnit, and Guice
- Hibernate, MySQL, DynamoDB
- Kafka, events, microservices
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFx
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding state and city guidelines.